‘It cost the man almost $900.’: Stranger buys ticket for airman to visit her dying father


“Monday, April 2nd, I was informed by family members my father’s health took a nosedive and he wasn’t expected to live more than a couple days, and I needed to come home ASAP.

I talked to my leadership that night, and the next day, I was able to take emergency leave and fly out.

I was scheduled for 4 flights that would get me home around midnight. My first flight took off late, causing me to miss my next flight. I was freaking out, but the flight attendant told me there was one more flight going to where I needed to be.

Before I boarded my second flight, a man came up to me because I had Shiva (she’s my service dog) and showed me pictures of his Malinois. He told me he served in the National Guard and he grew up around the same place I did. Before this flight landed, I found out my last flight home was cancelled.

As I’m getting off the plane (it’s about 9:30 p.m.) I’m texting and talking on the phone with my family trying to figure out how to get home that night. Then 2 flight attendants approach me saying they were able to get me a flight that leaves at 11:30 p.m. While the flight attendants are telling me this, my family is telling me they’ll drive 5 hours to come get me.

Then, the man I met before boarding my second flight came up to me while he was on the phone. He told me he was arranging for a professional driving company to drive me from the airport straight to my house, all at his expense.

I was apprehensive at first, but he showed the receipts to the flight attendants, and when the driver arrived, he sent them a picture of the car, the license plate and the driver. Before I left, he said all he wanted in return was for me to let him know I made it home.

The driver drove me from Chicago Airport, almost 5 hours to my front door. I got home about 3 a.m. on Wednesday April 4th. The driver told me it cost the man almost $900.

Thanks to this man’s selflessness, I was able to make it home and say goodbye to my father before he passed a day later on the morning of April 5th.

There really are good people in this world, and I will never be able to thank him enough for what he did. But I hope one day I will be able to pay it forward to someone in need like it was done for me.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.